Re: [Devel] GB18030 problem

From: Leon Ho
Subject: Re: [Devel] GB18030 problem
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:34:10 +1000

Anthony Fok wrote:

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 12:23:03PM +1000, Leon Ho wrote:

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Mike A. Harris wrote:

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

We are implementing a new charset, zh_CN.GB18030, into several
applications (like XFree86, qt, input method).

Hopefully, your results willl be freely available.  What about a free
GB 18030 (supplementary) font?

Red Hat developed software is open source, including patches, so this work, like all development will be sent upstream under compatible license. Currently, we do not develop fonts however. Perhaps the new Luxi fonts contributed to XFree86 are useable? Not sure..

Hello!

Wow, it is nice to know that everyone is working hard to support GB18030. :-) XteamLinux and Turbolinux have zh_CN.GB18030 products on the market
already, and Turbolinux 7.0 (Chinese) is the first Linux product to pass
the test in China.  We are now all playing catch-up.  :-)

Fortunately, the mastermind behind GB18030 support in Turbolinux is James Su
<address@hidden> who have already contributed much code back to the
community (and much are available on the CVS server at Turbolinux JP). He
has also been very helpful too.  :-)  Of course, we at ThizLinux Laboratory
Ltd. are also working toward the same goal.  :-)

Nice to meet you! *hand shake*

To avoid duplication of work, and as you may already know, James Su has
already gotten patches for various applications.  For Qt-2.3.x series, both
James and I (and Leon Zhang from XteamLinux) have contributed codes to Qt,
but unfortunately the bulk of Big5-HKSCS and GB18030 couldn't make it into
2.3.2 because we were a bit late.  :-)  Anyhow, these patches will be
further optimized and fixed and hopefully make it into Qt-2.3.3 and Qt-3.x
series.

If you are interested, perhaps we could compare notes and share some patches

and help debug our GB18030 support.  :-)

Sure. Do you have most of the main packages' mailing list subscribed? We could invite developers who are currently working on GB18030 to discuss on appropriate mailing lists for test and improve the patches!

Indeed. All the patches we created or applied will be available from our src.rpms and will be sent the upstream if possible.

If only we display 0x8139EE39, 0x8139EF30, there are no problem.
However if we include 0x8139EE38, all the glyphs in the application
will be erased with blanks.

Strange indeed.  Maybe a bug in the (3,10) charmap support of
FreeType?  Since I don't have such a font, I can't analyze it further.
What about other fonts with a (3,10) charmap?  E.g. the code2001 font
(is this the right name?) from James Kass?

I'll let Leon take that one.  ;o)

Are you refering the font from http://home.att.net/~jameskass/code2001.htm?

It may be the same bug, as GB18030 and Unicode have simliar planes and we are using -iso10646-1 as the charset for the font.

There is a publicly available ttf for GB18030 in the community. It's at ftp://ftp.turbolinux.co.jp/pub/TurboLinux/stable/tested/current/i586/ttf-zh-song-1.4-6.noarch.rpm

But of course, if my understanding is correct, this font is not free
(neither zero-cost nor libre).  It is marvellous that this font is available
for us to test our software, but just a reminder to all: don't re-distribute
it, and don't sell it unless permission is obtained from the original font
vendor.

Of course, we aware of that. :-)

Cheers,

Anthony