Re: [Devel] Re: [Freetype] Bug with spaces in latest CVS release

From: Scott Long
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: [Freetype] Bug with spaces in latest CVS release
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:00:00 -0800

On Monday 17 December 2001 09:17 am, Ian Brown wrote:

Hi Ian:

> Scott,
>
> I remember when I was reading PCL true type data, glyph 0x03 always gave me
> problems because the windows driver would download it for the space
> character and it always contained 0 contours.

Our problem also stemmed from glyph ID 0x03. The data appeared to be
truncated. Maybe this is "correct" behavior, and the printer expects such
weirdness. FreeType does not expect such weirdness.

> BTW: how did you cope with freetype requiring the tables 'names' and
> 'psnames' when PCL does not provide them? Did you synthesize them, or did
> you do what I did and locally patch freetype not to require these tables.

We synthesized the OS/2 table since that was required. We never dealt with
names or psnames. Never seemed to be a problem...

> The patch I made is below, if you're interested. I'm not sure why freetype
> requires these tables ... other than the fact that the spec. says they are
> required.

Thanks for this pointer. We've been looking for a way to extricate the
psnames code since it will make FT a lot smaller. Our management is really
big on having a small distribution, and this helps that out a lot!

Thanks,
Scott Long