Re: [Devel] Another autohinter crash?

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Another autohinter crash?
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 19:27:30 +0100

Hello Scott,

"Scott Long (by way of Scott Long )" a écrit :

> This time, I'm not doing anything with weird PCL conversions or otherwise,
> I'm just using ftview to open a TTF file.
>
> I get a segfault inside the autohinter when I execute:
>
> ftview 40 tt1095m_.ttf
>
> I've posted the offending file on the web (sorry for the numeric IP address,
> it's my little webserver at home). There's a link to the file at the
> following page:
>
> http://63.230.186.32/~scott/freetype/tt1095m.html

Thanks, I had a look and discovered that one of the glyph processed by
the auto-hinter is pretty strange:

  - it has exactly 1 point !
  - it has 511 contours !
  - the "contours" array of end point is invalid

the auto-hinter doesn't check the validity of loaded glyphs, and does
strange things due to out-of-bounds addressing.

I'll add a routine to check glyph outlines to FreeType to avoid this
problem in the future. Meanwhile, would it be possible that some glyphs
in this font are invalid ??

I'll let you know when the check is finished..

Regards,

- David