RE: [Devel] C++ API for FreeType - Portability

From: Graham Asher
Subject: RE: [Devel] C++ API for FreeType - Portability
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:22:16 -0000

Ed Keith said

<<<<<<
I'm not saying don't to switch to C++, you just need to be careful what C++
features are used to keep things portable.  If/when a C++ approach is taken,
a similar documented "FreeType C++ Portability Guide" I think would be one
of the first items to address before getting to far along in the code.

Yes, I agree. I would be one of the people arguing for a middle way - not
too restrictive - so as not to lose the advantages of C++. Of course if a
port was done. a standard would soon emerge of the form 'it must compile,
run and pass such and such unit tests on the such and such compilers and
platforms'.

Unit tests - yes, that reminds me. When I ported the FreeType rasterizers to
C++ I wrote unit tests that rasterize certain simple shapes and do a
byte-for-byte comparison with the expected bitmap. I don't think there is
anything like that for official FreeType yet, but perhaps I am wrong.
Definitely a good thing.

Graham