[Devel] problem reading Letter Gothic Font

From: Ian Brown
Subject: [Devel] problem reading Letter Gothic Font
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 18:38:19 +0100

I have a problem reading a font and I'm wondering if anyone here can give me
some pointers to track down the problem. I am using freetype 2.0.6 under
Windows 2000.

The font is Letter Gothic MT (lc______.ttf).

When I use the auto hinter to load the font, the font loads okay. The
quality is not so good though (ugly drop-outs) so I thought I would give the
True Type interpreter a go. I enabled the TT interpreter and recompiled
freetype. Now, the other fonts look better, but this particular font always
fails on the call to FT_Load_Glyph().
The return code is 0x81
The same code is returned for every glyph in the file.

I ran the font through flint and it finds no errors.
I used TTF dump to dump the font and could not see anything bad with the
font.
I switched on all the relevant freetype traces, but again nothing suspicious
there.

I don't really know what to try next (I'm not really any sort of expert when
it comes to TT fonts.)

The trace output looks like this...

TT_Load_SFNT_Header: 01512728, 0
TT_Load_Directory: 01512728
-- Tables count:             14
-- Format version: 00010000
  OS/2  -  000000ec  -  00000056
  cmap  -  00000144  -  00000342
  cvt   -  00000488  -  000000aa
  fpgm  -  00000534  -  00000073
  glyf  -  000005a8  -  000085a6
  hdmx  -  00008b50  -  000017a8
  head  -  0000a2f8  -  00000036
  hhea  -  0000a330  -  00000024
  hmtx  -  0000a354  -  000003e8
  loca  -  0000a73c  -  000001f6
  maxp  -  0000a934  -  00000020
  name  -  0000a954  -  00000591
  post  -  0000aee8  -  0000023b
  prep  -  0000b124  -  0000009f
Directory loaded

TT_Load_SFNT_Header: 01512728, 0
TT_Load_Directory: 01512728
-- Tables count:             14
-- Format version: 00010000
  OS/2  -  000000ec  -  00000056
  cmap  -  00000144  -  00000342
  cvt   -  00000488  -  000000aa
  fpgm  -  00000534  -  00000073
  glyf  -  000005a8  -  000085a6
  hdmx  -  00008b50  -  000017a8
  head  -  0000a2f8  -  00000036
  hhea  -  0000a330  -  00000024
  hmtx  -  0000a354  -  000003e8
  loca  -  0000a73c  -  000001f6
  maxp  -  0000a934  -  00000020
  name  -  0000a954  -  00000591
  post  -  0000aee8  -  0000023b
  prep  -  0000b124  -  0000009f
Directory loaded

TT_LookUp_Table: 01512728, `glyf' -- found table.
TT_Load_Generic_Header: 01512728, looking up font table `head'.
TT_LookUp_Table: 01512728, `head' -- found table.
    Units per EM:     2048
    IndexToLoc:          0
TT_Load_Generic_Header: Font table loaded.
Load_TT_MaxProfile: 01512728
TT_LookUp_Table: 01512728, `maxp' -- found table.
MAXP loaded.
CMaps TT_LookUp_Table: 01512728, `cmap' -- found table.
loaded
Names TT_LookUp_Table: 01512728, `name' -- found table.
1 0 0 0
  Digitized data copyright The Monotype Corporation 1991-1995. All rights
reserved. Letter Gothic is a trademark of The Monotype Corporation which may
be registered in certain jurisdictions.1 0 0 1
  Letter Gothic MT1 0 0 2
  Regular1 0 0 3
  Monotype - Letter Gothic MT Regular1 0 0 4
  Letter Gothic MT1 0 0 5
  Version 2.0 - July 14, 19951 0 0 6
  LetterGothicMT1 0 0 7
  Letter Gothic is FT_Open_Face: New face object, adding to list
FT_Open_Face: Creating glyph slot
FT_New_GlyphSlot: Creating new slot object
FT_New_GlyphSlot: Return 0
FT_Open_Face: Creating size object
FT_Open_Face: Return 0
Load Glyph failed for character 0x56, glyph 0x39
Load Glyph failed for character 0x45, glyph 0x28
Load Glyph failed for character 0x52, glyph 0x35
Load Glyph failed for character 0x5a, glyph 0x3d
Load Glyph failed for character 0x41, glyph 0x24
Load Glyph failed for character 0x4d, glyph 0x30
Load Glyph failed for character 0x45, glyph 0x28
Load Glyph failed for character 0x4c, glyph 0x2f
Load Glyph failed for character 0x46, glyph 0x29
Load Glyph failed for character 0x41, glyph 0x24
Load Glyph failed for character 0x43, glyph 0x26
Load Glyph failed for character 0x54, glyph 0x37
Load Glyph failed for character 0x55, glyph 0x38
Load Glyph failed for character 0x55, glyph 0x38
Load Glyph failed for character 0x52, glyph 0x35
Load Glyph failed for character 0x56, glyph 0x39
Load Glyph failed for character 0x45, glyph 0x28
Load Glyph failed for character 0x52, glyph 0x35
Load Glyph failed for character 0x5a, glyph 0x3d
Load Glyph failed for character 0x41, glyph 0x24
Load Glyph failed for character 0x4d, glyph 0x30
Load Glyph failed for character 0x45, glyph 0x28
Load Glyph failed for character 0x4c, glyph 0x2f
Load Glyph failed for character 0x46, glyph 0x29
Load Glyph failed for character 0x41, glyph 0x24
Load Glyph failed for character 0x43, glyph 0x26
Load Glyph failed for character 0x54, glyph 0x37
Load Glyph failed for character 0x55, glyph 0x38
Load Glyph failed for character 0x55, glyph 0x38
Load Glyph failed for character 0x52, glyph 0x35
Load Glyph failed for character 0x4f, glyph 0x32
Load Glyph failed for character 0x6e, glyph 0x51
Load Glyph failed for character 0x73, glyph 0x56
Load Glyph failed for character 0x20, glyph 0x3

Let me know if any more information would be useful (I don't want to flood
the list with too much information).

Ian
Ian Brown
PrintSoft Systems GmbH