[Devel] Windows GDI Vertical Glyph Positioning

From: Barry Will
Subject: [Devel] Windows GDI Vertical Glyph Positioning
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:01:33 -0800

Hi!

I'm writing a Windows device driver for a graphics-type device that would be able to render truetype fonts for vertical-style text (chinese, japanese, etc.).

Right now I am a bit puzzled regarding the x,y coordinate system the Windows GDI is using when rendering vertical text.

On my device driver, the rendered vertical glyphs are slightly off-center.

Does anyone know the assumptions Windows GDI makes regarding x,y positioning of glyphs? (Btw, according to some documents I found on the web, the x,y-origin for vertical text on FreeType should be in the center of the glyph. However, on Windows this doesn't seem to be the case. It seems that the x,y-origin is located differently.)

Any links to references and documents will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Barry