[Devel] Re: Problems with font naming and Xft

From: Keith Packard
Subject: [Devel] Re: Problems with font naming and Xft
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 22:33:27 -0800

Around 16 o'clock on Mar 25, Owen Taylor wrote:

> From reading the code in FreeType, it looks like what it does is it
> picks a (more or less) random Unicode name from the font, which could
> be for any language, and then converts that from Unicode to "ASCII"
> by assigning each character of the result to one byte of the Unicode
> character. (If there is only an Apple Roman name, and no unicode names,
> it similarly assumes that Apple Roman is ASCII.)

Cool.  I had assumed it was picking the Unicode name and returning it in
UTF-8 encoding.  I think it should be possible to get the name in UTF-8,
but I agree that an ASCII name would also be nice.  It's OK if I have to
ask the API to return either one as long as what's in the structure is
consistent.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab