Re: [Devel] Accessing the 'gasp' SFNT table

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Accessing the 'gasp' SFNT table
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:36:13 +0200

Salut Vincent,

Vincent Caron a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I would like to use the 'gasp' table info to turn on/off hinting and
> anti-aliasing as wished by the font designer. However it is currently in
> a private area, thus I can't reach it. My concerns in more details :
>
> - FT_Get_Sfnt_Table() uses the FT_Sfnt_Tag enum which doesn't have a
> 'ft_sfnt_gasp' item

yes, and that is intentional

> - the required structs to read the table contents (TT_GaspRec and
> TT_GaspRangeRec) are currently defined in <internal/tttypes.h> (they
> could move to <tttables.h>)

again, that's intentional since I don't think that exposing the tables
itself to the user would be a good thing..

> - src/sfnt/sfdriver.c:get_sfnt_table() does not dispatch the 'gasp'
> table
>
> What do you think about exposing this to the user ?

I think that it'd be better to create a new API, something like

   FT_Get_Gasp_Mode( face )

which would return an enum indicating the rendering mode to
apply (i.e. no-hints + anti-aliasing, hints + monochrome,
hints + anti-aliasing, etc..)

The data itself doesn't need to be exposed, which allows us
to modify the tables and the moment they're really loaded..

By the way, feel free to contribute a patch, I'm currently
busy with the preparation of 2.1.0

Regards,

- David