Re: [Devel] Re: strange cmap syntax

From: Ken Lunde
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: strange cmap syntax
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:24:57 -0700

Anthony,

You wrote:

That's great news!  I mistakenly thought that the copy I got
was the latest one.  I'll go try it out right away.  :-)

When the three characters were added to Hong Kong SCS, we considered defining Adobe-CNS1-5. Defining a new Supplement for only three glyphs didn't seem the right thing to do, so we silently updated Adobe-CNS1-4 with three additional glyphs. We chose this approach because we were not aware of any Adobe-CNS1-4 implementations.

Yes, something like that.  As a proof-of-concept, I tried to extend
Adobe-GB1-4, GBK2K-H and UniGB-UCS2-H to try printing these minority
scripts with Ghostscript and Founder's GB18030 TrueType font CIDCount
increased from 29064 to 31150, an addition of 2086 glyphs.

And yes, it works!  And I think I did examine the printouts visually to
ensure the glyphs match the text.  A patch is attached. Perhaps you
could use this as a reference to implement Adobe-GB1-5?  :-)
(You are free to use my patch and clean it up whatever way you like. :-)

Here is a GV screenshot:

        http://www.thizlinux.com/~anthony/gb18030-myzw.png

They were showing these files:

        http://www.thizlinux.com/~anthony/meng.txt.ps
        http://www.thizlinux.com/~anthony/yi.txt.ps
        http://www.thizlinux.com/~anthony/zang.txt.ps
        http://www.thizlinux.com/~anthony/wei.txt.ps

which were printouts from {meng,yi,zang,wei}.txt from AbiWord.  :-)
These *.txt files are in:

        http://www.thizlinux.com/~anthony/gb18030/samples.zip

One thing that has prevented us from defining Adobe-GB1-5 to include the glyphs from the minority scripts is the fact that they are complex scripts requiring complex rendering. We don't want to add glyphs that could not be meaningfully rendered. We are, however, always considering these glyphs. We have found that the GB 18030-2000 requirements state that minority characters are recommended. Applications must deal with their code points,
 however.

Regards...

-- Ken