Re: [Devel] extending FT_Stream to handle moveable memory

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] extending FT_Stream to handle moveable memory
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 10:38:59 +0200

Hi Graham,

Graham Asher wrote:
As part of my work for Artifex, Inc., to connect FreeType with GhostScript I
am going to extend FT_Stream so that it can handle blocks of memory that can
move around between calls to FreeType functions. GhostScript stores TrueType
font file images in moveable memory. These changes will enable FT_Open_Face,
which takes an FT_Stream object as one of its arguments, to handle such
fonts.

Please let me know if there is already a way of doing this, which I very
much doubt. I am aware that I could implement this in a much more cumbersome
way using a special FT_StreamRec_::read function, but I don't want to pay
the performance cost of allocating and freeing heap memory when I could
easily get a pointer to the actual memory.

You'll be pleased to know that the changes will be minimal and should have
no impact on performance.

Thanks, w're looking forwards to seeing your implementation. By the way,
do you plan to support "movable" "extracted frames" ? This would probably
require a few changes to the engine itself (not just the stream
implementation and their macros), but I'd like to let you know that I'm
ready to perform these if you need them...

Best Regards,

- David Turner