Re: [Devel] broken binary compatibility

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: [Devel] broken binary compatibility
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:48:35 +0800

Well, as a Debian and ThizLinux (deb/rpm) packager, I see both approaches
used by different upstream authors quite often, and we adapt to both, so we
use either
        make install prefix=/destination/directory/usr
or
        make install DESTDIR=/destination/directory

But yes, if we standardize on having DESTDIR available, that would be nice
too, as the "prefix=/destination/directory/usr" approach doesn't work for
installating files to the /etc and /var directories.  :-)

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling