RE: [Devel] fontstyle misconception

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: RE: [Devel] fontstyle misconception
Date: 12 Jul 2002 14:41:08 +0200

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 19:47, Kaushik Datta wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
> Thanks for your quick response.
> Actually I am stuck with the Mangal.ttf file which is for the Hindi (
> Indian ) language.Though I have this Mangal.ttf file,but I do not have
> anything like Mangalbd.ttf( for BOLD) or Mangali.ttf( for Italic).
> How can I display BOLD or ITALIC text using the same Mangal.ttf file.
> Do you mean to say that this Mangal.ttf file would be having different Face
> index for different fontstyles and so we have to pass different face index
> parameter to display BOLD or ITALIC?

Use the 'ftdump' program (ft2demos package) on your Mangal.ttf, it will
list all embded faces. I expect you'll only find one. You can synthetize
the italic face from the regular one by applying a skewing
transformation with FT_Set_Transform(), the trick is to find the right
matrix (this has been discussed recently on this ML if I remember). But
I don't believe you can fake a bold font easily.