Re: [Devel] Adding options to the PS Hinter

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Devel] Adding options to the PS Hinter
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 15:23:48 +0400

On Friday 05 July 2002 5:13 am, David Turner wrote:
|    - finally, I do quantize the stem widths within the new
|      auto-hinter, as well as strengthen "weak" stems to at
|      least one pixel wide. This has the effect of higher
|      contrast with about the same level of detail than
|      your technique.
|
|      In all cases, more experimentation is needed and will be
|      performed. It seems that we might be able to completely
|      forget about this patent non-sense in a relatively short
|      time.. Good, really good :-) !!

David,

Sorry for delayed comments.
IMO, FreeType (with AA enabled) has real advantage [over MS TT rasterizer] of
handling *light* fonts (I was experimenting mostly with Pragmatica Light, and
results are really good!)
You want to  _strengthen "weak" stems to at least one pixel width_.
This is good. But, will this *one pixel* be gray (more close to white, like
rgb(238,238,238)) or *black* (close to rgb(0,0,0))?
For example, I see rendering artefacts for Latin 's' and 'S' glyphs, even for
SanSerif fonts (like Arial/Pragmatica) at normal weights (not Light). And in
this case, stem's width is 1px or wider, but it looks too light, sometimes
with visual impression that character was *splitted* into two parts.

Best Regards,
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)