Re: [Devel] comment formatting - unneeded slashs and asterisks considere

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] comment formatting - unneeded slashs and asterisks considered harmful
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 14:37:04 +0200 (CEST)

> I note with surprise that some comments in code I checked in have
> been reformatted.

I did this.

> If comments are to be restricted to a certain number of characters
> per line, that is good (how many?), but what is NOT good is the
> unnecessary and obfuscatory '/*' and '*/ around every line. In my
> opinion, it is a very great step backwards to add these. It makes it
> very hard to edit the comment and thus keep it correct if there are
> changes to the code. I would like to make a strong argument for
> getting rid of the '/*' and '*/'. The comment should thus be:

As mentioned earlier, I prefer consistency everywhere.  The same with
tabs -- I've removed them all and I ask you not to use them.

> Surely the FreeType formatting rules can be relaxed to allow this
> sort of comment? Can Werner or David explain exactly how it would
> harm the FreeType project?

No harm at all, but we haven't finally decided how the new format
should look like (just keep on ranting on this subject :-).  As soon
as we've come to a decision, all source files will be formatted.

Sorry for the inconvenience.