Re: [OT font resolution -- was Re: [Devel] TrueType font-scaling]

From: James H. Cloos Jr.
Subject: Re: [OT font resolution -- was Re: [Devel] TrueType font-scaling]
Date: 06 Aug 2002 06:58:18 -0400

>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Packard <address@hidden> writes:

Keith> I'm actually quite tempted to fix the Xft resolution to 96dpi
Keith> unless reconfigured by the user.  It's clear that using 96dpi
Keith> is better than using the "actual" display DPI.

Keith> Anyone have a reason to consider using the "real" display DPI?

Provided that it can be overridden by a setting in fonts.conf (or
~/.fonts.conf et al) then a fixed 96dpi setting may be OK.

For most stuff, I find that specifying my panel's actual 133dpi is
best, but this does result in some apps spamming me with obscenely
huge fonts.  (An 8mm cap height is a bit of a pain on a panel with
191µm pixels.)

-JimC