[Devel] lightweight freetype?

From: graham
Subject: [Devel] lightweight freetype?
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 22:55:13 -0400

Hi!  I'm a FreeType newbie, though not a graphics newbie.  I'm
considering developing a lightweight FreeType, since I only need the
following:

- monochrome rendering only (1 bit per pixel) i.e. no antialiasing
- support for truetype and ps fonts only
- no hinting and such, since I only want quite big fonts

I also require that the library have a very small footprint.  1291 KB
is much too big :)  Reducing FreeType to the above features would
reduce the footprint, I presume.

So... does anyone have any pointers for me on how I should go about
this?  Or does someone have something like this already?  The source
is quite large and the documentation is quite small :-)

So far, unless I'm seriously mistaken, it looks like I won't need the
truetype interpreter since I don't want any hinting.  Same for the
autohinter and ps hinter.  Also I can leave out some of the font
format modules since I don't want them.  And I can remove the
antialiasing code.  Anything else?

Thanks!

- Graham Fyffe