[Devel] Two apple oddities.

From: George Williams
Subject: [Devel] Two apple oddities.
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 17:12:28 -0700

I was looking at the obliqued helvetica on my macintoy, and I discovered that it is a few lines of oblique wrapper around an unskewed helvetica. It looks like no other pfb file (well, mac POST resource which is normally just a pfb) I've ever seen. ftview (2.1.2) doesn't accept it. If anyone is interested in looking at it, I can pass on a copy.

Apple's truetype spec and the OpenType spec say contradictory things about the Postscript name (nameid=6). Apple says there there can be only one PostScript name in the 'name' table and suggests that it have (plat=1, spec=0, lang=0). OpenType says that there must be two (and any additional ones will be ignored) (plat=1, spec=0, lang=0) & (plat=3, spec=1, lang=0x409) A person at Apple tells me that this difference really matters, though it did not seem to in the one font I tested.
    Does anyone know?

        http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/opentype/name.html
        http://developer.apple.com/fonts/TTRefMan/RM06/Chap6name.html
(search for PostScript in both cases)