Re: [Devel] FT_Set_Hint_Flags() , etc.

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Devel] FT_Set_Hint_Flags() , etc.
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:53:38 +0400

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 6:04 am, David Chester wrote:
[...]
|  Still, though, serif fonts still seem to suffer quite a bit of distortion
|  even with only the hstem alignment (no snapping, no vstem alignment).  I
|  wish there were another hinting option where only the extreme top and
|  extreme bottom of the outline would be aligned on a pixel boundry, and
|  the rest would be left to fall where it might.
|
|  Here's an example which shows Times New Roman very slightly hinted,
|  similar to how I've just described, but with a few shortcomings.
|
|  http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~dchest/salon1.png

I would say that on this S/S different glyphs has different widths for
vertical stems.
This is really "no-no", IMO.
I think TNR converted to PS (and used with FT 2.0.9, or better with current
CVS), would be rendered better than text on your example.
If you are interested, I can post screenshot . Just let me know what text
you'd like to see on it, and at what size.  For my testings I mostly use
Cyrilic texts, as they are mode difficult to render, comparing to text in
English/German/French.

|  The implementation in the example is lacking in that the e's and s's,
|  etc. reach a tiny bit into the pixel row below, and the f's and p's and
|  q's are left alone, unstretched, so their stems are fuzzy.  But, it's
|  sort of close.  There's also some gamma correction on the TNR.  In case
|  anyone's wondering, the Verdana is hinted with the new options: vstem
|  alignment and vstem snapping are turned off.  Also, with both fonts, I've

Can you explain please what do you mean under "the Verdana is hinted with the
new options"
Did you created special version of Verdana?
Does it mean that you re-hinted it in TrueType hinting model, disabling vstem

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)