Re: [Devel] MingLiU TT font renders badly without bytecode interpreter

From: Jan Slupski
Subject: Re: [Devel] MingLiU TT font renders badly without bytecode interpreter
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:47:20 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Vincent Caron wrote:

> Jan Slupski wrote:
> > I guess you tell me that it is "broken" or bad designed font, but
> > is there anything that can be done to display it better?
>
> The auto-hinter is advertised to work nicely on most latin fonts, not
> asiatic ones. It seems that ideograms still benefit a lot from explicit
> hinting, and if MingLiU displays badly without the font designer's
> hinting (the embedded TrueType bytecode), it does mean that the font is
> well hinted actually :).

Ok.
I assume you know what was my idea of telling that it is broken.
That it cannot be rendered basing on outline only.

But thanks for explanation. I thought that if font is "well" designed,
FT can hint it well without running bytecode.

Thanks
Jan

 |_| | | | \|                 http://www.pm.waw.pl/~jslupski