[Devel] small Serif'ed text: FT-2.1.3, XFree86 CVS

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: [Devel] small Serif'ed text: FT-2.1.3, XFree86 CVS
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:31:56 +0300

I will start from lyrics.
New James Bond movie is out (it's launched here today), and I tried to check
schedule in different places thi smorning.
I used this URL:
http://www.afisha.ru/movie-review?id=1177828&from=feature

and found that can't read text at all /Konqueror 3.2 from KDE 3.1/.  :-(
Offending word was at the start ("Миллионер", Engl. millionaire), and
rendering of 'и' (by FreeType/XFree86) is completly broken, IMO.

I attached screenshot from that URL, and prepared small HTML testcase (zipped)
so it would be easy to test (original web page is *huge*, about 485KB)

According to analysis of HTML/CSS from that site, "guilty" font is Times New
Roman with size of 8pt.
Does someone have an idea what's going wrong?
Same font at 9pt is more-less ok (and rendering of text with FT-2.1.3 and
XFree86 CVS is much better than what I had before, so I think XFree86 CVS has
some enhancements over XF-4.2.1)
But shape of 'и' (Cyr. 'i')  is completly broken - diagonal stem disappeared,
and serifs from two vertical stems almost "joined" each other.

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released