Re: [Devel] src/base/ftsysio.c

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] src/base/ftsysio.c
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 00:41:08 +0100

Hello,

address@hidden wrote:

FreeType 2.1.3

I'm porting the library to a new OS
and came across src/base/ftsysio.c

I have to rewrite ftsystem.c for the port and so was
poking around at other files that make direct reference
to structs/funcs such as FILE*, fread() etc. and happened
across ftsysio.c

This doesn't get compiled with my current configuration.
I cannot see how it would ever be compiled.

Any hints on what it is doing there?
It is worrying me that some config change may get it pulled in
and that I really need to port it.
Well, the 2.1.x "branch" was created to perform important internal changes to the library, mostly to simplify the engine (by removing redundancies) and ease porting.

Unfortunately, this work is still not finished, even though there are source files present in the current package that contain some improvements, these are never
compiled in normal builds since everything isn't ready yet.

For example, none of the following are currently compiled:

- "ftsysio.c" and "ftsysmem.c" should ultimately replace "ftsystem.c", while
  separating the i/o and memory management routines to two distinct files
- "ftobject.c" contains a small and generic object subsystem
- "fthash.c" contains a generic dynamic hash table implementation

there are also lots of other changes to perform, mainly in the definition of
internal "services" (i.e. module interfaces), what certain services are and
should do (e.g. it's possible to simplify most of the work perform by font
drivers to load glyph, but this requires a drastic semantic change), and a
few other things..

I can't say when these changes will be completed. In the mean-time, you can
still use your custom "ftsystem.c"

Regards,

- David Turner