[Devel] Fw: Freetype2 Bug: does not work on some .gz files

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Devel] Fw: Freetype2 Bug: does not work on some .gz files
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 23:09:28 +0100 (CET)

Another bug report from Mike...

    Werner
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Freetype2 Bug: does not work on some .gz files Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 13:44:01 +0100 User-agent: Gnus/5.090014 (Oort Gnus v0.14) XEmacs/21.4 (Portable Code, x86_64-suse-linux)
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> さんは書きました:

f>> Subject: Freetype2 Bug: does not work on some .gz files

> Thanks for the report.  I've forwarded it to the address@hidden
> list.

Thank you. I tried to subscribe to the freetype mailing list
via the web interface and via mail, but it didn't work.
Maybe there is something broken in the mailman software on
freetype.org?

And I found another problem in freetype 2.1.3:

If the byte code interpreter is enabled, rendering of Type1 fonts
stops working completely.

I know that it is recommended not to use the byte code interpreter
with freetype 2.1.3 and I have switched it off in the SuSE package
intended for SuSE Linux 8.2.

But when turning the byte code interpreter on for testing and
comparing the rendering quality to the auto hinter, I stumbled over
this problem.

This looks like a bug, doesn't it? Shouldn't the byte code interpreter
affect only TrueType fonts? I thought that the byte code interpreter
is completely unrelated to Type1 fonts.

But with the bytecode interpreter enabled,

   ftview 50 foo.pfa

shows only garbage. And the freetype module of XFree86 4.3.0
(Freetype2 based) can't render Type1 fonts either if it is build
against a freetype 2.1.3 with the byte code interpreter enabled.

--
Mike Fabian   <address@hidden>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。

--- End Message ---