Re: [Devel] Problem with compilation on MinGW

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] Problem with compilation on MinGW
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 00:26:44 +0100

Brian Warner wrote:

I've got a problem when I want to execute the make for mingw.
I've made just as it is written in the INSTALL file. I made the ./configure, I removed the config.mk file, and then I tried the 'make setup' command.
But there, Mingw says me :
make: ver: Command not found
make: type: Command not found
make: *** [dos_setup] Error 127

Well, ./configure is specific to Unix-like sh, and ver and type are
MS-DOS commands. So in a way or in another, you are mixing different
things.

As far as I remember, Mingw got detected correctly from a MS-DOS prompt
(the [in]famous C>), provided the compiler was in the path (the only
problem I am having is that there are NBSP characters, which of course
display incorrectly in codepage 437 or 850!)

Now, if you intent to launch make setup from a port of sh, things are
not that pretty, and you got "Command not found" and similar insults,
and you end with an "ansi" setup...
But you are really building on a Unix-like system, so you ought to
follow the Unix rules... And they say that you ought to try
    ./configure
rather than go with `make setup'. You said you did run it, but then
removed the resulting config.mk. Why? It seemed to me the correct
way to go.

Antoine