Re: [Devel] On GRAYS_USE_GAMMA

From: Matthijs Melchior
Subject: Re: [Devel] On GRAYS_USE_GAMMA
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 22:33:57 +0100

Hi Billy,

Billy Biggs wrote:

 In the freetype source code I discovered GRAYS_USE_GAMMA, which uses a
piecewise linear function to map coverage values onto a rough curve.

 While it's clear that this code is disabled and marked as
experimental, I'd just like to make the request that it not ever be
enabled, as I use those coverage values as alpha values, which are
specified to be linear by everyone I can think of.  My application does
its own gamma correct compositing, and I don't feel like ever rewriting
it to do otherwise.

 Thanks,
 -Billy
Well....., I have discovered this GRAYS_USE_GAMMA as well and I am
preparing a message to start discussing how to get this enabled in the
standard release.  Than a 2 segment linear aproximation to the
gamma = 2.4 curve is not good enough, and I will propose a a better
solution.

Please join that discussion.

--
Thanks,