[OT] OTL_String (was: Re: [Devel] FT_Set_Hint_Flags problem)

From: Emile van Bergen
Subject: [OT] OTL_String (was: Re: [Devel] FT_Set_Hint_Flags problem)
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 12:47:53 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 10:09:36AM +0200, David Turner wrote:

>   - it doesn't include something like "otl_ruleset_shape" since
>     I've not finalized a good "OTL_String" type for now.

If you insist on building an abstract string type in C, please use
something that includes a separate pointer and length member, and allow
these to be manipulated directly, not only through functions.

A data member that is required in any type of implementation and whose
semantics are completely clear, should not be encapsulated, IMHO.

This may be completely OT, and OTL_String may be something very specific
instead of a general, abstract string type -- it's just that I've seen a
bit too many flawed implementations of abstract strings. Trying to make
strings abstract is often just plain wrong, too.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           address@hidden