Re: [Devel] Freetype & windows

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] Freetype & windows
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 00:16:42 +0200

Timothy Prepscius wrote:
This question may also be slightly off topic.. :-)

I do think so.

But on windows, the only method I've found to figure out what font file
contains which font is to load all of them up, and record the names/styles
in the process.

Is there a faster/better way I can figure out what font file contains which
fonts on windows?  All of the EnumXXX/LOGFONT Methods in the msdn
documentation never seem to give a file name.

Yes, but it depends on the level of portability you are seeking.
For example, you can easily list all the "known" source files by
enumerating the registry. Guaranteed unportable to anything else
than Windows.

In fact, all the engines like fontconfig, or Microsoft's Uniscribe/IE,
proceeds the same way: they enumerate (around boot time) all fonts
available, and record all the informations they want to use. Then they
cache this information, and have some API to be queried.
But one time or another, you have to query the data base.... If the
information you want is not within what gives you the "basic" API
(Windows' one in your case), then you are "forced" to invent another
database, with another enumerating task and another querying API.

:-(

Antoine