[Devel] FreeType paper for

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Devel] FreeType paper for
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 10:46:16 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Yannis,

attached is the paper on FreeType's autohinting.  Sorry for being
late.  It will be added to the FreeType documentation also.

Comments are highly welcome!

Some remarks:

  . Currently, David Turner doesn't respond to emails -- his address
    is still missing from the paper together with the French
    translation of the abstract.

  . myemp.sty is a patched version of emp.sty (not part of teTeX, BTW)
    to make it work with pdfLaTeX also.  I've sent the modifications
    to the author, and I hope that they will appear on CTAN
    eventually.

  . For a full paper (but not for EuroTeX) which references more
    internals of FreeType, the switch \FTdetailedfalse should be
    replaced with \FTdetailedtrue.

  . To compile for PS output, do this after unpacking the archive:

      latex autohint
      TEX=latex mpost autohint
      bibtex autohint
      latex autohint
      latex autohint
      dvips -o autohint.ps autohint

  . To compile for PDF output, do this:

      pdflatex autohint
      mptopdf autohint.mp
      bibtex autohint
      pdflatex autohint
      pdflatex autohint

Recent TeX distributions like teTeX should contain all necessary
tools.  Since EC fonts are used it is recommended to use the cmsuper
package (the default on recent TeX-Live CD versions) to have outline
fonts in the output instead of bitmapped PK fonts.  A precompiled PDF
document will be available soon from FreeType's `www' CVS module.