Re: [Devel] freetype 2.1.4 on Solaris 9: non-install of tterrors.h

From: Owen Taylor
Subject: Re: [Devel] freetype 2.1.4 on Solaris 9: non-install of tterrors.h
Date: 29 May 2003 09:03:35 -0400

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 20:43, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 07:30:09PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > I'm not sure what's being referred to here. I suspect there is
> > some problem on the system with multiple mixed versions of the
> > FreeType headers, but that shouldn't cause problems at the
> > configuration step, though it might when compiling later.
>
> It's entirely possible (that remnants from a previous version are hanging
> around).  I did have freetype-1.3.1 installed at one point, followed
> by freetype 2.1.2; and pango 1.0.4 was also previously installed, so anything
> left over from all of that is probably still out in /usr/local (unless it
> has been subsequently overwritten).
>
> All of those were built from source in their own subdirectories, though,
> so I can at least guarantee that the source directories I started with
> were pristine.

It's not the source directories I'm talking about but the install
locations.

> > Pango's configure certainly containers no check for tterrors.h.
>
> Then I am confused.  (This is not surprising; I find that I spend
> a significant amount of my time being confused. ;-) )   The pango 1.2.1
> configure script that I've looking at has this, starting at line 9178:
>
>       ## see which freetype we have, 2.0.3 vs. 2.0.4
>       pango_save_cppflags="$CPPFLAGS"
>       CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS $FREETYPE_CFLAGS"
>       if test "${ac_cv_header_freetype_internal_tterrors_h+set}" = set; then
>         echo "$as_me:$LINENO: checking for freetype/internal/tterrors.h" >&5
>       echo $ECHO_N "checking for freetype/internal/tterrors.h... $ECHO_C" >&6
>       if test "${ac_cv_header_freetype_internal_tterrors_h+set}" = set; then
>         echo $ECHO_N "(cached) $ECHO_C" >&6

Ah yes, looks like I had forgotten that I didn't remove that check until
after I did 1.2.1 ... I removed it because you actually need
FreeType-2.0.9 or new to build Pango-1.2.x.

> and it goes on to try to compile the little test program, etc.  This fails;
> the output in config.log which appears to be emitted as a result looks like:
>
>       configure:9189: checking freetype/internal/tterrors.h usability
>       configure:9198: gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall  -I/usr/local/include
> -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 conftest.c >&5
>       configure:9226:40: freetype/internal/tterrors.h: No such file or
> directory

That's harmless... just because a check fails doesn't mean it's bad.

> > Without seeing the output of configure / the errors that got put
> > into config.log I couldn't say more precisely.
>
> I'd be happy to send you whatever you want, or to run any experiments
> that you'd suggest.  (I'm still betting even money that this is something
> stupid I'm doing and that you'll all have a good laugh at my expense once
> this is solved!)  Would the config.log from the pango 1.2.1 source directory
> suffice, or would you like me to run it inside a script(1) session and
> send that instead (or in addition)?

Well, I guess the first question I'd have is simply "what went wrong?" -
why are you thinking that Pango is failing to build for you?

Regards,
                                            Owen