Re: [Devel] freetype 2.1.4 on Solaris 9: non-install of tterrors.h

From: Rich Kulawiec
Subject: Re: [Devel] freetype 2.1.4 on Solaris 9: non-install of tterrors.h
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 20:43:48 -0400

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 07:30:09PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> I'm not sure what's being referred to here. I suspect there is
> some problem on the system with multiple mixed versions of the
> FreeType headers, but that shouldn't cause problems at the
> configuration step, though it might when compiling later.

It's entirely possible (that remnants from a previous version are hanging
around).  I did have freetype-1.3.1 installed at one point, followed
by freetype 2.1.2; and pango 1.0.4 was also previously installed, so anything
left over from all of that is probably still out in /usr/local (unless it
has been subsequently overwritten).

All of those were built from source in their own subdirectories, though,
so I can at least guarantee that the source directories I started with
were pristine.

> Pango's configure certainly containers no check for tterrors.h.

Then I am confused.  (This is not surprising; I find that I spend
a significant amount of my time being confused. ;-) )   The pango 1.2.1
configure script that I've looking at has this, starting at line 9178:

        ## see which freetype we have, 2.0.3 vs. 2.0.4
        pango_save_cppflags="$CPPFLAGS"
        CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS $FREETYPE_CFLAGS"
        if test "${ac_cv_header_freetype_internal_tterrors_h+set}" = set; then
          echo "$as_me:$LINENO: checking for freetype/internal/tterrors.h" >&5
        echo $ECHO_N "checking for freetype/internal/tterrors.h... $ECHO_C" >&6
        if test "${ac_cv_header_freetype_internal_tterrors_h+set}" = set; then
          echo $ECHO_N "(cached) $ECHO_C" >&6
        fi
        echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result:
$ac_cv_header_freetype_internal_tterrors_h" >&5
        echo "${ECHO_T}$ac_cv_header_freetype_internal_tterrors_h" >&6
        else
          # Is the header compilable?
        echo "$as_me:$LINENO: checking freetype/internal/tterrors.h usability"
>&5
        echo $ECHO_N "checking freetype/internal/tterrors.h usability...
$ECHO_C" >&6
        cat >conftest.$ac_ext <<_ACEOF
        #line $LINENO "configure"
        #include "confdefs.h"
        $ac_includes_default
        #include <freetype/internal/tterrors.h>
        _ACEOF

and it goes on to try to compile the little test program, etc.  This fails;
the output in config.log which appears to be emitted as a result looks like:

        configure:9189: checking freetype/internal/tterrors.h usability
        configure:9198: gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall  -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/local/include/freetype2 conftest.c >&5
        configure:9226:40: freetype/internal/tterrors.h: No such file or
directory

> Without seeing the output of configure / the errors that got put
> into config.log I couldn't say more precisely.

I'd be happy to send you whatever you want, or to run any experiments
that you'd suggest.  (I'm still betting even money that this is something
stupid I'm doing and that you'll all have a good laugh at my expense once
this is solved!)  Would the config.log from the pango 1.2.1 source directory
suffice, or would you like me to run it inside a script(1) session and
send that instead (or in addition)?

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
address@hidden