Re: [Devel] TrueType hinting

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] TrueType hinting
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:20:53 +0200 (CEST)

> I have a question about TT_CONFIG_OPTION_FORCE_UNPATENTED_HINTING.
> A few days ago, while preparing for CVS 2003-06-01 for Debian, I turned
> on all three
>
>       TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER
>       TT_CONFIG_OPTION_COMPILE_UNPATENTED_HINTING
>       TT_CONFIG_OPTION_FORCE_UNPATENTED_HINTING
>
> as you have done so in the CVS, but a test with ftview 24 Arial.ttf
> (Microsoft's web core fonts) shows many distorted characters.  The
> the very latest CVS 2003-06-04 (compiled on Debian sid with gcc-3.3
> or gcc-2.95) also exhibits the same behaviour:
>
>     http://foka.dnsalias.net/~foka/freetype/
>       forced-unpatented-distorted-arial-freetype2-cvs20030604.png
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or is this the expected behaviour of
> TT_CONFIG_OPTION_FORCE_UNPATENTED_HINTING?

As Graham points out in another mail, this is the expected behaviour.

> What would happen if I leave
> TT_CONFIG_OPTION_FORCE_UNPATENTED_HINTING undefined?  Would FreeType
> reverts to autohinting or to patented hinting?

It reverts to patented hinting, as far as I understand the code.  I'm
not really happy about this situation.  What I want for the default is
the following: autohinting for everything except for glyphs which are
rendered with FT_PARAM_TAG_UNPATENTED_HINTING, and patented hinting
should not be available.  Is this possible?