Re: [Devel] TODO

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] TODO
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 02:49:35 -0500

Around 7 o'clock on Jun 14, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> * Is the anti-aliased glyphs feature of BDF also available in PCF
>   format?  If yes, add support to the PCF driver.

Nope -- PCF was never updated with such new-fangled features because the X
server cannot support them.

Note that Juliusz Chroboczek and I are scheming to eliminate BDF and PCF
fonts from X and move to SFNT files for bitmap fonts as those would allow
reasonable Unicode encoding and would automatically use the existing
FreeType2-based X font loader which deals with re-encoding fonts on the
fly.

I hope to soon reach a state where people will ask questions about that
old quaint X-specific bitmap font file format and get mostly blank stares
in response.

-keith