[Devel] Re: my experience with 2.1.4

From: bulia byak
Subject: [Devel] Re: my experience with 2.1.4
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 20:32:51 -0500

David, thanks for your update. I must say that it's *very* disappointing
that your FT_LOAD_TARGET_SMOOTH was not included in the release. I can only
hope that this decision will be reversed in the next release. Your
comparison clearly shows that in the *_LIGHT mode, kerning is not only bad
but *intolerably* bad.

It's a very serious usability issue. Unfortunately I see the same bad
kerning as in the *_LIGHT example in ALL screenshots of Linux distributions
or programs that claim "antialiased fonts." And this is pathetic. It's I'm
sure a major reason why everyone keeps claiming that Linux has bad fonts
and usability. We *need* to fix this ASAP. Believe me, no one having  a
slightest idea of good design or readability will take seriously an OS
that can display the word "distribute" as it is displayed in the top half of

> http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~dchest/rendermodes.png

And the most appaling is the fact that we DO in fact already have a
solution, thanks to David, but that solution is ignored! How can this be
"subjective matter" is beyond me - you have no excuse for such bad kerning,
AA or no AA, period. We cannot seriously discuss consistency of stem widths
until we have such crazy gaps between letters.

So I urge every developer on this list, please, please, PLEASE enable
FT_LOAD_TARGET_SMOOTH as soon as possible _and make it the default for AA
fonts_. Sure, it can be improved further, and I applaud David for his
continuing efforts, but even now it is light years ahead of what stock
2.1.4 has to offer.

Sorry for the rant. I do graphic design and such things really matter to
me.

-- bb
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers