Re: [Devel] Re: [Freetype] Freetype 2 on Mac

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: [Freetype] Freetype 2 on Mac
Date: 22 Oct 2003 08:26:41 -0700

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 21:13, Dan Williams wrote:
> 10.2/10.3 most certainly do support OpenType fonts, but to what extent
> I am not sure:
I performed the following simple test on my OS/X 10.2.1 machine.

I created a font which contained a 'morx' table with a ligature
sub-table which mapped "A B => C"

I created another font which contained a 'GSUB' table with a 'liga'
ligature (script latin, language default) feature which mapped "A B =>
C"

I installed both.

I ran TextEdit (the simple text application)

I typed in "AB"
        I selected this and changed the font to the one with the
          morx table. The ligature worked, and I saw "C".
        I changed the font to the one with the 'GSUB' table.
          The ligature did not work, and I saw "AB"

I conclude from this that ligatures in the GSUB table are ignored by the
mac. I have also been told this by people from Apple.
On the other hand, the mac certainly does support 'CFF ' tables (Type 2
postscript) which are also called opentype fonts. Perhaps this is where
the confusion lies?

Or perhaps things have changed since 10.2.1