RE: [Devel] Metric for hat (^) vertical offset?

From: Turner David
Subject: RE: [Devel] Metric for hat (^) vertical offset?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:14:18 +0100

Hello,

> > The reason why layout is failing is that freetype indicates an
> > excessively large bounding box for the ^ glyph.
>
> What do you mean with `indicate'?  Normally, FreeType reports the
> metrics given in the font.  If you want an approximation to the
> smallest bounding box, you should call FT_Glyph_Get_CBox.

Werner, certain fonts contain glyphs with "isolated" points within
their outline (i.e. a contour made of a single point). These are never
rendered but they may have an influence on bounding box computation
(and in case you'd ask, the hinters already detect these cases)

I suspect this is to enable anchor positioning, especially for accents,
and it may explain the problem described here..

Hope this helps,

- David Turner

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for the
addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error, please
delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.
The E-Mail transmission can not guarantee the integrity of this message.
CANAL+TECHNOLOGIES will not therefore be liable for the message if modified.