Re: [Devel] help me

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] help me
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:00:32 +0100

Hi Alexandr,

I beg your pardon, I do not speak Ukrainian...

> I want to use your library - freetype.
> I downloded 1.3.1
version(http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/freetype/freetype-1.3.1
.zip).

Please try to use CVS instead. Or at least grab the freetype-current
snapshot (ftp.linux.cz/pub/freetype/unstable/freetype-current.tar.gz).

> I have VC7.

Well, I do not have installed it, and do not really plan to do so.
Furthermore I understand the command line tools, NMAKE, CL, LINK (that we
are really using) are not the "normal" way to operate it, if it does work at
all...
You can give a try to the project (in lib/arch/win32) to build the DLL, but
you are on your own to then build the test tools and so on.

I believe the straightest and best way is to switch to Freetype 2, which
have a lot of users and supporting people that may give you a hand. Freetype
1 is really a relic, of historic interest, but anything it does ought to be
doable with Freetype 2, better, and probably with a comparable footprint if
you take the time to select only the features you really need (assuming this
is really needed, I do not see Win32 and/or VC7 as a convenient platform to
build small footprint components!)

Antoine