Re: [Devel] initial release of FTLayout/GXLayout

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] initial release of FTLayout/GXLayout
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:05:35 +0100 (CET)

> >   - OTLayout seems to be under LGPL. There is no chance that we're
> >     going to distribute it in the FreeType 2 source package, since
> >     this license is more restrictive than the current dual-license
> >     plan we're using. For example, LGPL code is practically
> >     unusable in most embedded systems.
>
> Do you mean *I* cannot distribute ftl-20040225.tar.gz by myself?  Or
> FreeType project cannot distribute a version of FreeType2 including
> OTLayout?

The latter.  You invested a lot of time in developing the code, and
you are exactly filling the gap we want to close since a few years.
It would really be a pity if licensing issues should prevent a common
distribution.  But according to the rest of your email this is
something we don't need to bother.

> If you, ft developers permit to use, we'd like to use the name
> FTLayout.

`Permit' is the the wrong word.  You can use any name you want.
Personally, either FTLayout or FreeScript will do, with a preference
for `FreeScript'.