RE: [Devel] Project steering

From: Turner David
Subject: RE: [Devel] Project steering
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:45:35 +0100

Humm, humm,

Well, the reason we "changed" the API was precisely because several
Linux distributions already used mutually exclusive ways to install
the library header files, causing *great* havoc for ordinary users and
library implementors who didn't know how to find the relevant files
during a "configure".

That's why we introduced the "change", which was *fully* backwards
compatible with the old one. We also announced that the #include
scheme needed to change in client libraries and applications a
**very** long time ago. We also repeatedly informed people asking
on the mailing list about the "problem".

Most developers have changed their source to suit the new convention.
It's only recently that we discontinued support for the old scheme
to reveal the few remaining broken libs.

It's not like we did it for the fun of it, using macros in #include
statements is actually pretty ugly, but was a necessary step to a
uniform installation of the library.

Things are much better now for everyone, than in the 2.0.4 days, though
you might not realize it :-)

Regards,

- David Turner