Re: [Devel] What should we do for China's Linux National Standard?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] What should we do for China's Linux National Standard?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 15:25:48 +0100 (CET)

> FreeType must have these functions:
>
> 1.Support displaying bold, italic, bold italic Chinese fonts.(Now
> you haven't achieved it.)

It seems that you are completely missing what FreeType is!  What you
want to do has to be done one level higher.  FreeType just renders
glyphs of a given font, nothing more.

> 2.When the TrueType font [size] is small, use bitmap font to display
> Chinese characters.  (Now FreeType can do it, but the English
> alphabets are ugly).

FreeType uses what can be found in the font.  In case the font
provides embedded bitmaps for small font sizes, you can make FreeType
to use them.  How did you come to the impression that FreeType can't
do that?

> 3.Support GB18030 font.

If you use a font which provides the GB 18030 character set (and
glyphs), FreeType will use it.