Re: [Devel] Trimmed monospace font: bug, feature or my fault?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Trimmed monospace font: bug, feature or my fault?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:39:36 +0200 (CEST)

> I have monospaced TrueType (indicated with Panose setting, all
> widths are the same) font based on Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.  When
> shown in some GTK+ or KDE/Qt (I got reports of other toolkits
> behaving the same too) application the glyphs are trimmed (maybe cut
> is better word) to their width.  Non-monospaced fonts are not
> trimmed.  It is best shown on monospaced Oblique font face - even
> the original Bitstream font - for example M is cut a bit in the
> upper right corner and lower left corner.
>
> Now the strange part comes: when transformation matrix is set to
> some non-identity (like (1, 0.0001, 0, 1) which is visually the same
> as identity) the trimming stops.  I'm setting the matrix in
> fontconfig.

While the bounding glyph box should include all glyphs, the advance
width can be smaller than the maximum horizontal extension; the
difference is called `italic correction'.  Maybe your applicataion
simply renders glyph by glyph, overwriting the pixels which are
already there, thus not taking into account horizontal `overshoot'?

    glyph
   width