Re: [Devel] [Fwd: Re: [Pfaedit-devel] bdf to pcf conversion]

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [Devel] [Fwd: Re: [Pfaedit-devel] bdf to pcf conversion]
Date: 05 May 2004 20:20:55 -0700

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 19:55, Keith Packard wrote:
> Nope, at least not in the current implementation anywhere.  You could
> extend PCF if you like; the format does permit new tables.
Thanks. That's what I thought. I don't believe that I'll extend it but
Scot's group may do so if they wish.

> Does TrueType SFNT format support this?
Yes, in the EBLC/bloc table, in the bitmapSizeTable there is a bitDepth
field and a color table field. If color table is 0, values for bitdepth
are:
        1               (bitmap)
Apple documents
        2,4,8,16,24     (grey scale)
OpenType documents
        2,4,8           (grey scale)
OpenType recommends bitDepth=1 or 8

The meaning of colour table field is undocumented, but Apple mutters
about coloured fonts in spite of that.

I don't know that I've seen any real-world examples...

> PCF is evil in any case -- it has a flat encoding vector, which ends up
> rather large for essentially all Unicode fonts.
:-)  >I<  wasn't intending to use it

Thanks Keith.