Re: [Devel] OpenType futures

From: Owen Taylor
Subject: Re: [Devel] OpenType futures
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:25:24 -0400

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 05:48, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > Should the otlayout code work directly on the tables from the font
> > file?  Or do we want to keep the way we currently have and parse a
> > good part of the tables?  In the long term it sounds nicer to
> > directly work on the unparsed tables.
>
> IMHO the otlayout library should work on the unparsed but validated
> tables.  Maybe the validation process can fill some basic structures
> with important values (offsets, number of features, etc.) which speed
> up the access.
>
> Anyway, I don't object to moving the validation code completely to the
> otlayout library if this has advantages, but somehow I have the
> feeling that validation is really such a low-level operation that
> separation from the otlayout library makes sense.

Hmm, this doesn't really make sense to me. We have three operations that
need to know the details about the data structures for individual
lookups:

 - The code to validate the table
 - The code to parse the table (which is a subset of validation)
 - The code to apply the lookup to glyphs

No matter how we group them it seems a bad idea to put different
parts of these operations in different libraries. Adding support
for new lookups or fixing bugs in existing lookups might well
then require fixes in two places and two releases.

Regards,
                                                Owen