[Devel] Using FreeType for vectorial purpose

From: Cortex - DRAG-Network -
Subject: [Devel] Using FreeType for vectorial purpose
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 19:10:19 +0200

Hi,

I'm new to FreeType and, before getting my hands on it, I'd like to know if it can do what I'd want.

I write an OpenGL application, and I'd like to implement font displaying right now. However, I'd like not to use the standard way to do this (using Bitmaps) but rather really displaying the polygons of each letter. Thus, I could extrude the characters and get some nice 3D effects on them.

So, my question is : does FreeType support vectorial output ? Is it possible to obtain a set of 2D vectors for each character (defining the outline in fact) for a give font ? With which font formats is it available if it is ?

Thanks for any answer ;-)

--
Cortex