RE: [Devel] Re: italic font rendering clipped

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [Devel] Re: italic font rendering clipped
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:05:40 +0200

> Thanks Werner for your response. I did run ftstring and ftview from
> the demos program. ftstring and ftview from demos work fine. Actually,
> they show the problem d and m character properly in the bitstream vera
> sans mono italic font (which is the font that I am having problem
> with).
>
> However, in any kde or gnome application (gtk or qt I think) - I see
> that these characters are clipped. I saw this in kvim (KDE Qt port of
> vim). But, it consistently happens in other Gtk editors (like gedit).
> any ideas what could be wrong?

Yes, the clipping is a "feature" of the libXft library, which is used by
both Qt and GTK to draw anti-aliased text.

You should contact Keith Packard about this; I also believe that he
did this on purpose, so there might be a reason for the current behaviour
(don't ask me why though).

Best Regards,

- David Turner