RE: [Devel] Type 1 rendering and Euler numbers

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [Devel] Type 1 rendering and Euler numbers
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:02:47 +0200

Hello Graham,

That's right. The only thing you could do for the moment is modify the
Type 1 driver to automatically render a glyph bitmap when the load flags
contain the FT_LOAD_RENDER bit, and then use a different algorithm.

However, this would mean that later conversions of outlines, e.g. with
FT_Glyph_To_Bitmap, would generate different results. I let you imagine
what kind of support nightmare this could be.

Making FreeType capable of using distinct rasterizers based on the original
font format would mean quite a number of changes to the library. Note that
this is uninteresting, but it's a lot of work.

> 3. Would it help to turn on auto-hinting for Type 1 fonts?
> (Of course I'll try this myself, but any other experiences are welcome).

Maybe yes. The Type 1 hinter now lags severely behind the automatic hinter
for certain fonts. For others, its results are still better (especially
for monochrome rendering).

Regards,

- David Turner