Re: [Devel] libfreetype.a file size much different in Red-Hat Linux

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] libfreetype.a file size much different in Red-Hat Linux
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:26:34 +0100

Chris Liang wrote:
> Built by me libfreetype.a file size is about 2092 K.
> Red-Hat Linux /usr/lib/ libfreetype.a. file size is 391 K.
> Why  and how to reduce the file size?

Why:
Typically (based on the figures) you have the debugging informations into
your library (this is normal since by default Freetype ships with the -g
option on), RedHat version does not (again, this is correct since a library
stored in /usr/lib is supposed to be bug-free).

How:
Try a tool named strip, particularly the -S option.
Another option is to use gcc -g1 if you do not intend to debug Freetype.

Antoine