Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:08:11 +0100 (CET)

> > As can be easily seen, we have one pixel right bearing for the `e'
> > and one pixel left bearing for the `d', which makes a two-pixel
> > gap.  The one-pixel gap between `R' and `e' disappears after
> > applying the kerning, and this makes the two-pixel gap stick out.
>
>   So it's not just me that thinks this looks odd?

It seems that Vera.ttf doesn't handle 12ppem properly...

>   I don't know much about fonts, so forgive me if this is a stupid
> question: How does hinting (bci hinting in this case) interact with
> kerning?

It doesn't interact, at least not if the kerning is stored in the
`kern' table.  If you use the `GPOS' table, it is possible to have
different kerning for different DPI values (the FreeType library
doesn't support GPOS kerning -- and never will do).

> I'm assuming that, since it changes the shapes of glyphs there needs
> to be some adjustment to take account of this.

The proper solution IMHO would be to reduce the advance width of the
`e' and `d' glyph to be only 7 pixels, not 8 (this is, having no right
side bearing).  This can be controlled by hinting instructions.  There
*might* be a bug in FreeType's hinting engine, handling the horizontal
phantom points incorrectly (those points control the advance width),
but this is rather unlikely.