Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals
Date: 10 Dec 2004 13:50:52 -0800

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 15:21, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> It only gives access to the simplest kerning format, as a
> convenience function.
In an earlier post (which I have lost) someone mentioned that GPOS
kerning might me usable to deal with the distortions implicit in grid
fitting.

The LookupType 2 sub-tables (pair adjustment -- ie kerning) of GPOS
allow for a "device table" which can contain a correction for each
letter pair in pixels for any given ppem.

They don't seem to have a connection to tt points (nothing the grid
fitting instructions could control)... probably a good thing given the
combinatorial number of points that would be needed for kerning.