Re: [Devel] ftview and gray4 support

From: Pierre Hanser
Subject: Re: [Devel] ftview and gray4 support
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:45:01 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
The BDF driver supports different gray levels for glyphs (2, 4, and 8
bpp) but it always returns an 8bpp glyph.

The TrueType driver also supports 2, 4, and 8bpp but it doesn't do the
conversion to 8bpp.

This is inconsistent.  I would like to move the 2->8bpp and 4->8bpp
code from the BDF driver to the ftview demo program.

Any objections?  Or do you think that the opposite solution (this is,
adding 2->8bpp and 4->8bpp conversion to the TrueType driver) is
better?

I think I would have a small preference for the other way,
because it's easier for an application to be font independant
if the output is always in the same format, with the conversion
into the library. But that would probably be a problem for
some TrueType font users...
Also my point of view is the one of a lazy programmer...

Anyhow, I would not like my feelings to be taken too seriously.
I will adapt myself.
--
        Pierre