RE: [ft-devel] Regarding GTK/GNOME memory usage optimization

From: Owen Taylor
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] Regarding GTK/GNOME memory usage optimization
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:23:12 -0500

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 10:48 +0100, Turner, David wrote:

> By the way, maybe it's time for fontconfig and Pango to stop doing
> "their thing" and ask for specific APIs instead...

The only place that Pango isn't using the public APIs is the much
discussed OpenType code.

Fontconfig does seem to be using some FreeType internal API for
things like BDF files. I don't really know the details there.

Thanks a lot for looking into the memory usage situation....
I'd say in general FreeType right now is fairly low on my memory
usage radar ... profiles I've looked at is that apps do tend to have
non-trivial amount of non-shared memory allocated by FreeType,
but using 50 or 80k of memory for loading fonts doesn't seem
excessive to me compared to how we are using memory elsewhere.

I haven't looked at the situation for CJK or all-Unicode fonts.
It's possible that dynamic allocation from FreeType is more of
a problem there.

Regards,
                                        Owen