Re: [ft-devel] Two patches for FT

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Two patches for FT
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 02:41:50 +0100 (CET)

> > Note that FreeType always use dropout mode 2 -- it is a
> > long-standing `bug' that this can't be changed.
> >
> Werner, the fact that the drop-out mode is hard-coded to 2 isn't a
> bug, it's a "feature" :-) It's the only way to get results that
> match Windows in all cases.

Good to know!  I've asked this question repeatedly but I never got an
answer.  Will add a proper remark to the sources.

> I'm also attaching a screenshot that shows that Tahoma at 8ppem
> isn't even displayed as monochrome by WinXP.

Your screenshot shows that there's something fishy with FreeType'2 TT
code.  If you call `ftview -r 96 8 tahoma.ttf' (from the current CVS,
with bytecode interpreter and patented hinting enabled) you can see
that both the glyphs `6' and `8' have one pixel too much.  Either
there's a bug in the bytecode interpreter, or there is a problem with
the dropout code in the renderer.

Since tahoma is probably one of the most used fonts I ask you to
invest some time to find the problem.